Friday, July 16, 2010

The gift of grief 23 years later....

I have been part of The Team Sarcoma Initiative on FB for several weeks now, an initiative to raise awareness surrounding sarcoma. Sarcoma is a cancer of the connective tissues, such as nerves, muscles, cartilage, joints, bone, or blood vessels. About 1% of all adult cancers are sarcomas. Often, it is misdiagnosed and sometimes they are thought to be sport injuries. Many times, by the time of diagnosis, it has already metastasized. Reading the posts of those have battled and won, those who have lost has awakened a part of me this week to that young adult part of myself. The one who was 19, battling with stage 4 ewings sarcoma. I feel like part of her that has been dormant for so long is ready to speak and share more about her experience, if she can make a difference.

My thoughts around grief touches me on a personal level today. My thoughts are with someone who is beginning their transition from this earthly plane, after a sudden onset of cancer found only some weeks earlier. Last night, heard from a dear friend who suddenly lost a loved one to suicide, and news of another last week. This is my work, and in my own backyard.

I am humbled today, gratitude for the many blessings in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment